Saturday, September 11, 2004

Letter to the editor: In a Foreign Tongue

First of all I must say I am not always able to write something in English. So, please, be understanding and read these scattered Second Life thoughts.

I’ve been playing Second Life from November 2003. It was a challenge. I am not a native English speaker (Italian is my first language), and my English was (and is)... let's say poor. Just enough to be understood almost always or at least often, and good enough to understand people. But it was (and still is) very frustrating.

This is a great handicap in relationships, because it seems that sometimes, when you speak like a 14 years old trying to say understandable things, people tend to get impatient and to go away rather than help. So, when you meet a player that "speaks strange" please think he/she could not be stupid, only give her/him some time to express.

In Second Life I met a huge amount of people from all the world. I am not a racist, so I have not ideas like "French are all OK" or "Americans are all ugly." In effect, I found that professional idiots and very nice people are spread between political borderlines.

-- Jopy Weber

1 Comments:

  • I agree with you Jopy! I'm French and I know its also hard to deal with misunderstanding when you don't speak well a foreign language. We must admit that English is the "esperanto" of the web, so you just need to be patient and to read some english book (with a dictionnary on your lap).

    I don't know if there is an Italian group, but its also a good way to meet other people and also to meet an interpret!

    I finally agree your last idea! There is only idiots and very nice people in SL or in RL, the rest is just the old story of politicians, power, money and stupidity!

    Didier Dragonfly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 15, 2004 at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home :: Index: Article List