Saturday, September 11, 2004

Lost in Space

By DONNIE DONOVAN
SecondLIFE Magazine

I have left on a voyage to space in Second Life. I am traveling at a rate of nearly 200m per second.

Tools: X-Flight Carbon Rod for quick travel / Location Coordinate Finder

* 30,000-40,000 meters: I notice the map marker began to get larger and larger. Soon I was unable to see a map marker if placed in the sim below my location. If I placed the map marker in the sim in front of me it appeared very close to my avatar and very large.

This may be evidence that this world is round!

* 60,000-80,000 meters: My Avatar is beginning to become erratic, especially the name floating above my head. It looks as though it is boiling with black spots and is fluttering in waves... even when I pause for a break.

* 101,000 meters: I have broken through the atmosphere! Or so I think!

My avatar is now completely apoplectic and it is seeming to get worse... Every object and body part is waving about as though it were in a gas fume.

* 140,000 meters: My Avatar seems to have acquired two names, an identical title is jittering about my stomach as is the one above my head... they seem to trade places every now and then, but at times they both show.

The blue light above is growing brighter.

* 206,000 meters: Things get dark. Everything quite suddenly and somewhat purposefully faded to black. I don’t know if i reached the end of the virtual universe or got sucked inside one of Jeff Lindens black holes to 2035...

* Update: I go back down to see if things will reappear again, to my surprise I must travel 1000 meters down to 205,000 meters high to regain the view of the bright blue space around me. It must be a black hole. At 206,000 meters things fade to black again, right on cue.

* Meters Unknown: My Location Finder has failed and I can not view object properties attached to my avatar. Estimated 244,000 meters high. I am getting bored with the darkness of this virtual universe so I decide to try a little sim crossing action. After a bit of toying with the ants below on my mini-map... I resolve that if I tap the "up" or "down" arrow key in a rhythmic pattern, skipping a half second beat between each tap that I JUMP across a sim! Literally I leap and my AV bounds from border to border.

I could traverse the world in a matter of minutes... or seconds...

The Truth is out there Second Lifers, one day we just might make it to the moon...

7 Comments:

  • Awesome scientific exploration. All of secondlife blows my mind and I am not sure Linden was expecting space travel. Build a space station while out there.

    Borjo Steele

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 21, 2004 at 11:14 PM  

  • lets hope youre setting applicable way points as you make your continent jumps possible virtual los gravity fountains satellite position or reference information hmm bookmarks and tourguides may they ever become obliquely unique as secondlife befits

    >/0..

    (Great Endeavour btw and heroic as well gagarinsically speaking lol God Job)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 7, 2005 at 12:45 PM  

  • Make a giant space station up there, and, at night, make it glow like a star. I'd go up and STAY there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 16, 2005 at 10:24 AM  

  • Using an object containing 127 prims each doing synchronised llPushObject()s on my avatar at less than half a meter frommy center of mass, in an empty sim, I ws able to launch myself so high that my altimeter script pegged at around 2 billion meters... I'm sure I was higher than that but it was calling llFloor() to round the display and that's limited to MAXINT. According to my spotter on the ground my position on the map sometimes claimed I was below ground level.

    At that height, the rendering engine is clearly struggling to keep up. I was much more distorted than the fellow who made it to a million meters: My head looked half-guillotined from my body, all my limbs were waving like the tentacles of a sea-anenome, and I was shaking like a leaf. As is usual when you push the limits of SL physics, all my attachments were blown off, but I *was* able to teleport back to ground level and re-equip myself from my inventory.

    As an aside, detached objects can't exist over 4096 meters, and can't be built over 768 meters, so placing or building a space station would be impossible unless you built it out of the bodies of the cosmonauts themselves.

    Argent Stonecutter

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 19, 2005 at 4:01 PM  

  • That is wierd!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 15, 2005 at 2:49 PM  

  • I have been to such levels, my first 10 minutes in worlds - I know right where you were at.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 12, 2006 at 7:08 AM  

  • cool dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at April 25, 2007 at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home :: Index: Article List