Saturday, June 26, 2004

Master of the Universe Room

Damien Fate stays true to his first life while in Second Life
By CALIANDRIS PENDRAGON

Q: How and when did you come to Second Life?
A: Last year, from June to November I had no Internet access due to moving house, so when I finally got hooked back up I was looking into the realm of online gaming. I'd never really played an online role playing games before but I tried looking up various keywords on Google, needless to say I added "free" in there cause I am cheap! Eventually I ended up at the Second Life Website, viewed the trailer and pictures and thought it was worth a try, so in November 2003, I stood on Orientation island for the first time, not knowing what was ahead of me.

Q: What was the first thing you made?
A: When I first started Second Life, I had come with knowledge of other 3D construction programs, such as TrueSpace, so I was really looking forward to building something in Second Life. The first item I made was the "friendship bear" and I made it to give to all the people I had met in Second Life who had helped me while I was young... Francis Chung, Siobhan Taylor to name just a couple... This bear is still being passed around from friend to friend.

The first item I made was the "friendship bear" and I made it to give to all the people I had met in Second Life who had helped me while I was young.


Q: How long did it take you to feel at home in Second Life?
A: I could say pretty much as soon as I came out of orientation island, I was met with friendly greetings and made friends quite quickly, and they ended up feeling like family... and Second Life became a home. I couldn't give an exact date, but it was pretty fast.

Q: Does your avatar have the same personality as you?
A: Pretty much the same, Damien Fate isn't a character I play, it's just my representation in Second Life. His personality has evolved as I have. Things in Second Life have affected the real Damien just as things in real life affect Damien Fate.


Starry vision: Damien Fate designed the observatory in Phobos.


Q: What’s your favorite thing not built or made by you?
A: I'd like to say two things really: The Seburo by Francis Chung and Neil Protagonist, and the WW1 RAF biplane by Cubey Terra. I'm not a gun OR a plane nut, but these two beautiful items have to be tried. My best purchases yet.

Q: What are you most proud of?
A: Well I always liked my universe conference room. But then I went one step further and made the observatory in Phobos. It's the same thing but 900 times bigger.

Q: Tell me about the things you have made and built in-world?
A: The Phobos Project: A large place devoted to enhancing the experience of Second Life for newcomers. With a free public stage, 1$ store (full of donations from some of the best creators in Second Life) and a hidden universe room called the "observatory". Also, Europa Apartments: Free apartments for the landless, helping them find their place in Second Life after the free trial is up. Many have left the apartments very grateful for the chance to spend more time in Second Life without worrying about land.

Q: You’re Second Life emperor for the day: what do you do?
A: I get everyone in world to stand on each other to make the tallest avatar tower in history.


Artist Damien Fate


Q: What are the influences on your art and design, in-world and elsewhere?
A: I get a lot of inspiration from dreams and one of my favorite artists, Yoshitaka Amano. I try and make my architecture different from something you could see in real life. Why make a replica of a house when you can look out of your window and see one? So, I try and make something which is new, never seen before, but looks like it really could be real.

Q: Where do you hope you will be in ten years’ time? Still in Second Life?
A: That depends how Second Life is in ten years, my needs as an artist always grow and change. Second Life has provided a new medium for me, and with extra features we've seen such as custom animations, it keeps me going. If I am not in Second Life in 10 years time, for whatever reason, I will still be doing my art.

I try and make my architecture different from something you could see in real life. Why make a replica of a house when you can look out of your window and see one?